Bishop Joseph Hoare
Bishop Joseph Hoare came to Kiltoghert as
Parish Priest in 1887 and remained as Pastor until his appointment
as Bishop of Ardagh and Clonmacnois in 1895. While his stay
in the Parish was relatively short, his contribution to the
the Parish was significant.
Bishop Hoare was a native of Ballymahon.
Ordained in 1867 after an outstanding academic career as a
student in Maynooth he was first appointed to the Cathedral
Parish of TempleMichael. In 1867 he was appointed President
of St. Mel’s College and was named a Canon by Bishop
Woodlock in 1879. Two years later he was appointed Parish
Priest of Streete where he remained until his appointment
as Parish Priest of Kiltoghert.
Canon Thomas Fitzgerald had built the Parish
Church of St. Mary’s but it was left to his successor
Canon Hoare to complete the furnishing of the Church and the
development of the grounds, which remain substantially as
he left them. He also had the Church in Jamestown renovated
and re-opened for worship after it been closed for some twenty
Next Canon Hoare turned his attention to
the needs of the people of Leitrim and the surrounding townlands
and built the Church of St. Joseph there in 1888. Prior to
1888 no Church at all had existed in Leitrim.
Finally in 1892 Canon Hoare with the help
of Fr. Thomas Hourican and the generosity of the people of
Gowel built a new Church in Gowel on the site of a much older
Church which had survived from Penal times and which as well
as being a place of worship had served as a schoolhouse where
as many as three teachers taught at the one time.
Father Thomas Hourican C.C. - Gowel 1887 –
While a great deal is recorded of the life
of Bishop Hoare, little is know of the Curate who undoubtedly
helped him in the work of building the Church in Gowel. We
know that Thomas Hourican came to Gowel in 1887 and lived
in the Parochial House in Drumliffin which is now but a ruin.
Father Hourican was appointed Parish Prist
of Annaduff in 1893 by his former Parish Priest, now his Bishop.
He remained in Annaduff Parish until 1907. He was then appointed
Parish Priest of Killerry and served the people of that Parish