The local Burial Ground is just a mile from
Leitrim Village, it’s called Kiltoghert. It gets its
name from St. Toghert, a 6th Century Saint and it is from
her that we owe the origin of the name of the Parish.
Bishop Moran was buried here in 1166AD.,
and we can take it that this was a sign of its importance.
The existance of a Medieval Church points to this and adds
to the tradition.
In 1587 the Bishop of Ardagh was also buried
here. Thankfully our graveyard is now looking very well, after
a FAS Scheme initiated by Mike Joe Mahon and Rita McWeeney,
and supervised by Sean McWeeney, Gorvagh, Stonemason and Craftsman
and his team. A lovely blessing of the Graves Ceremony takes
place each year in August. “It is a holy and wholesome
thought to pray for the Dead.”